8 Strategies to Make the Decision Easy
Are you looking for a commercial roofing contractor in St. Petersburg or Pinellas County? Selecting a company can be challenging. With so many commercial roofers vying for your business, you want to know that you are selecting the right team of roofers, who will install the best roofing materials on the market. The last thing you want is to choose a company that will rush the job, providing you with a substandard roof that will only need more work shortly. So how do you find a commercial roofing company that you can trust?
In this blog post, we share eight strategies for finding the right commercial roofing contractor for your specific needs.
1. Ask for Recommendations
One way to discover a reputable contractor is to ask other local businesses who they have used in the past. Word-of-mouth recommendations will be one the most reliable that you can obtain.
2. Read Online Reviews
Read through reviews with such organizations as the Better Business Bureau and on platforms like Yelp, Google, Angi and others. Remember, as you look for a commercial roofing contractor, try to uncover reviews from other business owners, not just homeowners, who may have used the roofer.
3. Ask About Location and Longevity
While it might not be a deal-breaker for you, choosing a local company is a good way to support your community. Selecting a roofing contractor from your region also helps you make a business connection and expand your network. You should also ask how long the roofing contractor has been in business and what certifications they might hold. For instance, at Classic Roofing & Construction, we are a GAF factory-certified roofing contractor. Only 2 percent of roofing contractors in North America are certified as GAF Master Elite, a certification we renew each year. Plus, every GAF-certified contractor offers superior protection with the GAF Lifetime Roofing System, and we have access to enhanced warranties, backed by GAF.
Certifications benefit customers in several ways. For instance, to hold our GAF certification, Classic Roofing & Construction is required to be:
- Properly insured and licensed. Peace of mind comes standard, with a $1 million+ liability insurance; worker’s compensation, and licensed by the State of Florida
- Reputable and trustworthy. Classic Roofing & Construction has a track record for providing quality roofing services in our community and has earned a great credit rating per Experian as a result.
- Highly qualified. All team members at Classic Roofing & Construction are up to date on the latest technology and practices, ensuring expert installation. We don’t employ subcontractors; we only use full-time highly trained craftsmen.
4. Ask About Roofing Materials and Approaches
Some contractors can be hesitant to share what kind of roofing materials they specify, hoping to use the least expensive materials on the market to save money on your project while providing inferior roof performance over time. The right commercial roofing contractor for you will offer the type of roof you need. Typical roofing methods include:
- Commercial built-up roofing (BUR): Traditionally done with layers of tar and gravel, today’s built up roofing (BUR) involves multiple layers of ply sheets and asphalt.
- Roof coatings: For metal or flat roofs, coatings can seal seams and cracks while preventing leaks. Most popular are acrylic roof coatings and silicone roof coatings.
- Single-ply roofing: Choosing a single-ply membrane is a cost-effective approach to commercial roofing. The synthetic rubber material is extremely durable, resists cracking and offers excellent weather protection.
- Commercial metal roofing: Inherently strong with a range of available styles, metal roofing performs well even in Florida’s heat and harsh weather conditions.
- Modified bitumen roofing: Perfect for low-slope commercial roofs, this reinforced material comes in rolls and adds long-lasting protection. It can also be treated to resist UV rays.
- Shingles: A popular choice for many commercial roofs, shingles are fire resistant, affordable and available in a variety of colors and thicknesses. Solar reflective shingles are also a smart option for Florida properties.
- Tile: Whether they’re made of clay, concrete or composite materials, roof tiles are beautiful and offer a very long lifespan.
5. Obtain an Estimate and Detailed Contract
Most roofing companies are delighted to provide a free estimate and discuss your roofing needs. The first red flag would be a contractor providing an estimate without first thoroughly inspecting your commercial roof.
The next step would be to obtain a detailed contract from all roofing contractors you are considering. Here’s what should be included in a contract:
- Approximate start and finish dates
- Explanation of deposits, due dates and any other terms of payment
- Material costs, labor costs and the cost of additional materials that might be needed
- Information on how change orders are handled and if they incur additional administrative charges
- A list of all the materials and amounts of materials needed, the brand and manufacturer of those materials and how the materials will be installed
- Warranty information along with any applicable details
Consider having an attorney review your contract before you sign.
6. Ask About a Lien Release
A lien release will be your proof that you paid in full for your new commercial roof. Not all Florida roofing companies provide this for their clients. To ensure your peace of mind, be sure to ask about this protective measure.
7. Ask a Few General Questions
- Who will be overseeing the project?
- How will you access my roof?
- How do you manage inclement weather?
- What safety standards do you have in place?
- How will the landscaping be protected?
- How are damages managed?
- Will I get a written copy of the manufacturer warranty and workmanship warranty?
- Will clean-up procedures be performed every day, as needed, or at the end of the project?
8. Ask How the Project Will Affect Operations
Roofing projects are noisy. Schools, for example, typically have their roofs repaired or replaced during the summer recess, so as not to disrupt their operations. Classic Roofing & Construction collaborates with our clients on a case-by-case basis to minimize any downtime for your business.
Get Started With a Commercial Roofing Contractor
Contact Classic Roofing & Construction to help protect your investment in your commercial building from Mother Nature’s wrath in St. Petersburg, Tampa, Clearwater and surrounding areas. Call us at 727-317-6489 or schedule a free consultation.