In This Article
It’s the rainy season for Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg, Florida. If you are an owner of a commercial or industrial building with a flat roof system, these weather patterns can be challenging. If there’s a puncture in the roof membrane in an area where water ponds, your business could experience a severe leak. This could do enough damage to your business, that you may need to file an insurance claim. You will probably want to start searching for commercial roofers in Tampa or your local community.
Although commercial roof systems are designed to provide your building with long-term performance against Mother Nature, it’s not uncommon for a commercial or industrial roof to develop problems over its lifespan. Fortunately, there are solutions to any issues, including commercial roof repair, recovery or replacement.
In this blog post, we review three factors to take into consideration when deciding whether to repair, recover or replace your commercial roof. While this information is designed to help business owners weigh the pros and cons of each solution, nothing compares to having a free inspection from roofing professionals.
The experts at Classic Roofing will perform an on-site inspection to determine if roof recovery and repairing are possible. To help determine if your commercial or industrial building is a good candidate for repair and recovery, they will investigate if there is moisture presence below the roofing membrane. If more than 25 percent of the square footage of your roof deck has been penetrated by moisture, it will be more cost-effective to replace the entire roof system. This is because wet insulation, drywall and wood blocking will deteriorate and lead to mold infestation, and even structural failure.
If the majority of your roof is sound and undamaged, but the membrane has reached the end of its lifespan, then a new membrane could be the answer to a roof recovery that would extend the life of your building’s roofing system. This solution would be less expensive, less disruptive and enable you to have new, extended warranties.
Depending on your operating budget and any possible warranties or insurance claims that can help defer the costs of restoring, recovering or replacing your roof. Our team can help you sort through your best options, including obtaining financing for repairs or replacement.
One should also analyze the company’s long-term goals. If you plan on staying in business at your current location for a significant amount of time, then a total roof replacement is a smart investment. But if you plan on moving locations or selling the business in a few years, and you’re just seeking to pass code inspection, then you may wish to go for routine maintenance and roof repair.
System and Solutions
Some contractors can be hesitant to share what kind of roofing materials they employ, hoping to use the least expensive materials on the market to save money on your project while providing inferior roof performance over time.
The team at Classic is extremely proud of the materials we employ on our commercial roofing projects. Whether it is TPO, liquid-applied roofing or anything in between, we can provide GAF commercial roofing systems and solutions for your exact needs. Our product lines include:
- TPO roofing systems. In the 20+ years that TPO has been in the field, it’s become one of the popular products used for low-slope roofing.
- PVC roofing systems. A reliable and versatile member suitable for all types of single-ply systems with guarantees of up to 25 years.
- Roof coating systems. Reliable roofing solutions that can help extend the life of the existing roof and the time between tear-offs.
- Mod bit SBS roofing systems. This option offers great flexibility, impact resistance, strength and system compatibility.
- Mod bit APP roofing systems: Offers great flexibility, impact resistance, strength and system compatibility.
- Built-up roofing systems: One of the oldest current roofing technologies, BUR offers the durability of multi-ply construction.
Obtain a Free Estimate and Detailed Contract
Most roofing companies are delighted to provide a free estimate and discuss your roofing needs. The first red flag would be a contractor providing an estimate without first thoroughly inspecting your commercial roof.
The next step would be to obtain a detailed contract from all roofing contractors you are considering. Here are details that should be included in a contract:
- Approximate start and finish dates.
- Deposits, amounts, due dates and any other terms of payment.
- Material costs, labor costs and the cost of additional materials that might be needed.
- Information on how change orders are handled and any additional administrative charges that come with them.
- A list of all the materials and amounts of materials needed, the brand and manufacturer of those materials, and exactly how the materials will be installed.
Make sure the warranty information is also included in the contract along with any other applicable details. Don’t sign any contracts until you have your attorney review them.
A professional roofing company should provide a release of lien to protect all their clients. A release of lien should provide peace of mind to building owners that no other entity will be requesting payment for their new commercial roof. Not all Florida roofing companies provide this for their clients. A lien release will be your proof that you paid in full for your new commercial roof.
Here are additional general questions you should ask commercial roofers in Tampa, St. Pete or any other community:
- Who will be overseeing the project?
- How will you access my roof?
- How do you manage inclement weather?
- What safety standards do you have in place?
- How will the building’s landscaping be protected?
- How are damages managed?
- Will I get a written copy of the manufacturer warranty and workmanship warranty?
- Will clean-up procedures be performed every day, as needed, or at the end of the project?
Can My Business Stay Open During the Roofing Project?
Roofing projects are noisy. Schools, for example, typically have their roofs repaired or replaced during the summer recess, so as not to disrupt their operations. Classic Roofing & Construction collaborates with our clients on a case-by-case basis to minimize any downtime for your business.
Master Elite Craftsmen Certified Through GAF Academy
Classic has been building commercial and residential roofing in Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg since 2003. We are a GAF factory-certified roofing contractor. Only 2 percent of roofing contractors in North America are certified as GAF Master Elite, a certification we renew each year. Plus, every GAF-certified contractor offers superior protection with the GAF Lifetime Roofing System, and we have access to enhanced warranties, backed by GAF. This certification requires Classic to be:
- Properly insured and licensed. Peace of mind comes standard, with a $1 million+ liability insurance, workmen’s compensation and licensed by the State of Florida.
- Reputable and trustworthy. Classic has a track record for providing quality roofing services in our community and has earned a great credit rating per Experian as a result.
- Highly qualified. All team members at Classic are up to date on the latest technology and practices, ensuring expert installation. This includes GAF training and certification, high property owner job satisfaction ratings and the strongest GAF warranties. We employ no subcontractors; we only use full-time highly trained craftsmen.
To Get Started With Commercial Roofers in Tampa, St. Pete and Beyond
Contact Classic Roofing & Construction to help protect your investment in your commercial building from Mother Nature’s wrath in St. Petersburg and Tampa Bay. Call us at 727-329-8023 or schedule an appointment for a free estimate with one of our team members.in