In This Article
On average, the Tampa-St. Petersburg area receives 248 sunny days each year, compared to the U.S. average of 205. This fact affects new home and commercial structure construction, including design, building codes and material selection.
Many municipal governments are mandating stricter energy codes. In many cities, for example, “cool roofs” are required for new construction for both residential and commercial buildings.
A cool roof strongly reflects sunlight and solar energy. This reduces the amount of heat that penetrates the attic, as well as the cost of cooling during the summer months.
The Cool Roof Rating Council compares it to wearing a white t-shirt, versus a black t-shirt on a sunny day. “Cool roofs, like a white t-shirt, keep the internal temperature of the building lower. Except the t-shirt doesn’t need to be white.”
The team at Classic Roofing & Construction are experts at constructing cool roofs by specifying solar reflective shingles. The surfaces of GAF Timberline HDZ RS+ shingles are embedded with innovative EcoDark granules that reflect sunlight while meeting green building guidelines.
This line of GAF Solar Reflective Shingles provides an enhanced shadow effect that mimics the look of wood shake shingles. It’s also the first dark-hued reflective solar shingle on the roofing market. The line has five colors, including:
- Aged Chestnut Plus
- Charcoal Plus
- Hickory Plus
- Sagewood Plus
- Stone Gray Plus
The Timberline HDZ RS+ line of GAF shingles has earned third-party engineering approval for use in the state of Florida. This line complies with the 7th edition (2020) of the Florida Building Code.
Florida’s sun-drenched days can impact the durability of asphalt shingle roofs. Because the Timberline HDZ RS+ line of shingles reflects sunlight, it reduces the amount of damage done. The more durable your roofing shingles, the longer your roof will stand the test of time, and the less often homeowners will have to invest in repairing or replacing it.
Reduced AC Costs
Cool roofing strategies and solar reflective shingles will mean less heat entering the home or commercial building. This reduces the amount of air conditioning needed to keep the home or commercial structure comfortable. In addition to saving money on energy costs, this reduces the draw on the electrical grid as well, which helps reduce emissions from power plants.
Reduced Urban Heat Island Effect
Heat islands are urbanized areas that experience higher temperatures. Structures, roads and other infrastructures absorb heat during the day, then reflect that energy into the community at night. With a lack of greenery, these heat islands experience daytime temps that are 1 to 7 degrees higher than outlying areas, with nighttime temperatures that 2 to 5 degrees higher. GAF solar reflective shingles can help mitigate this by reflecting that energy into the atmosphere. This strategy can also help reduce power plant emissions.
Key Performance Indicators of Solar Reflective Shingles
GAF HDZ RS+ line of shingles has earned notable performance indicators, including:
- L.A. County: This line meets the Green Building Standards Code of Los Angeles County for residential buildings.
- Title 24: This line can be used to comply with 2016 Title 24, Part 6, Cool Roof Requirements of the California Code of Regulations.
- CRRC Rated: GAF HDZ RS+ has earned ratings by the Cool Roofing Rating Council.
- Beautiful look: This line uses proprietary color blends and EcoDark granules for a dynamic color never before seen in cool roof applications, as well as an enhanced shadow effect for a genuine wood-shake appearance.
- High performance: Designed with Advanced Protection Shingle Technology, which reduces the use of natural resources while providing excellent protection for your home or commercial structure.
- Stays in place: Dura Grip Adhesive seals each shingle tightly and reduces the risk of shingle blow-offs; shingles are warranted to withstand winds up to 130 mph.
- Highest roofing fire rating: UL Class A, Listed to ANSI/UL 790.
- Peace of mind: Lifetime limited transferable warranty with Smart Choice Protection (non-prorated material and installation labor coverage) for the first 10 years.
Install GAF Solar Reflective Shingles with Classic Roofing
At Classic Roofing & Construction, we are the experts in cool roof strategies and solutions. We will help homeowners and business owners choose the right materials to help homeowners or business owners save money while keeping their homes or businesses cool.