In This Article
A new roof isn’t like a normal business expense that you can plan for. Sometimes, you need a new commercial roof but simply don’t have the funds on hand for a replacement. So what are you supposed to do? Well, one of your options is commercial re-roofing.
But how is re-roofing different from a roof replacement? And is covering your old roof a good idea? Today, you’re getting answers to all of your commercial re-roofing questions. And you’re getting them from Tampa Bay’s favorite roofers—Classic Roofing and Construction. With 20 years of local commercial and residential roofing experience, we’ve got the experience and know-how to break down commercial re-roofing. Now, let’s get started by answering the biggest question that local homeowners have!
Commercial Re-roofing vs. Commercial Roof Replacement
It’s normal to be unclear about the difference between re-roofing and replacement. To get an idea of the difference, we’ll define each one.
A roof replacement is when your old roofing material is entirely stripped and removed from your roof. This usually comes with a decking inspection and replacing your water-resistant underlayment. Then a new layer of roofing material is installed on your roof.
With re-roofing, you skip the step of removing the old roofing system. Instead, roofers install the new roofing system on top of the old one.
So where a roof replacement removes your old roof, re-roofing applies a new roof on top of the old one. And as you might imagine, this comes with some notable advantages and drawbacks. So let’s take a look at what you should consider before deciding on commercial re-roofing in Florida!
Commercial Re-roofing Pros and Cons
Sometimes commercial re-roofing is a great solution, but sometimes a full replacement is better. To start, let’s look at some of the reasons that commercial re-roofing could be a great fit for you!
Pros of Commercial Re-roofing
- Price: The biggest advantage of re-roofing is its price. Since it doesn’t require removing and disposing of the entirety of your old roof, re-roofing will always be more affordable than replacing. This makes it a great option if you would rather not put the money into a total replacement right now.
- Time: Many businesses don’t like to have roofers working on the property, especially if you’re a seasonal business currently in its busy season. In these instances, commercial re-roofing is great because it’s so much faster to roof over an old roof than remove and replace it.
- Extra Protection: When you choose commercial re-roofing, you can get double the protection! Since your new roof is sitting on top of your old roof, water has to make it through twice as much before it reaches your structure. This is especially great for flat roofs since they’re more vulnerable to standing water.
- Great Aesthetics: Commercial re-roofing visually revitalizes your roof. If your flat roof looks old or worn, covering it with a new roof can give that “new roof” look without that “new roof” price tag.
Cons of Commercial Re-roofing
While commercial re-roofing has a lot of great things going for it, it is not perfect in every situation. Here are some of the biggest drawbacks when it comes to commercial re-roofing:
- Usability: Not every roof is eligible for commercial re-roofing. For one thing, you can only have two roofing systems on a structure at a time, so you can’t re-roof the same roof twice without replacing it. Additionally, your roof may not be a candidate for re-roofing if it’s been substantially damaged. For example, if you’re experiencing heavy leaks, there may be structural damage that re-roofing can’t fix. In this situation, a commercial roof replacement would likely work better.
- Lifespan: When compared to a roof replacement, a re-roofing job simply won’t last as long. How long your roofed-over roof lasts will depend on the materials (modified bitumen, TPO, and EPDM are popular for commercial re-roofing projects), but a safe guestimate is to expect your second roof to last about 75% as long as a brand-new roof would.
- Assurance: When you get a roof replacement, you know that your entire roofing system is in working order. But when you choose commercial re-roofing, there is no way to access the underlying structure of your roof. So if there is existing damage, re-roofing will not reveal it.
Is Commercial Re-roofing Right for Me?
Re-roofing is great in some circumstances and not the right fit in others. So how do you know if it’s right for your situation? We’ve put together a handy checklist to help you decide!
- Is my roof leaking?
- Am I getting mold or damp spots in my attic or on the walls?
- Is now a good time to invest in a brand-new, freshly replaced roof?
- Is my roofing underlayment more than 20 years old?
If you answered no to these questions, then commercial re-roofing could be a great fit! If you answered yes, however, then you may want to choose a commercial roof replacement instead to make sure that your roof is healthy and strong. In either case, Classic can help!
Choose Florida’s Top Commercial Roofers
Whether you choose to go with commercial re-roofing or a full roof replacement, Classic has your back. We’ve been installing and re-roofing commercial roofs in Florida for over 20 years, and we’ve seen it all. So no matter what your situation is, you can trust that we’ve got a great, highly trained crew that’s ready to help.
At Classic, we understand that commercial roofs have unique needs, and we’re more than ready to meet them. If you want to learn more about your commercial re-roofing or roof replacement options, you can schedule your free estimate. After a brief roof inspection, our roofing experts will put together a customized quote that’s tailored to your preferences and your roof’s needs.
We have hundreds of rave reviews from local Floridians, so why not reach out and see what makes us so special? Give us a shot and see why after 20 years, Classic is still Tampa Bay’s favorite roofing company!
Frequently Asked Questions About Re-roofing
1. Q: What is re-roofing?
A: Re-roofing is the process of installing a new roofing system without completely removing the old one. This is different from a roof replacement, which is when your old roof is torn off and a new one is installed in its place.
2. Q: When is re-roofing better than replacing?
A: Re-roofing can be a cost-effective and time-efficient option, as it eliminates the need to remove the existing roof. It is often chosen when the existing roof is still structurally sound but may need an upgrade or repair.
3. Q: What are the benefits of commercial re-roofing?
A: Re-roofing can extend the life of the existing roof, improve energy efficiency, and address minor issues without the cost and disruption associated with a complete roof replacement.
4. Q: Can re-roofing be completed on a roof that already has multiple layers?
A: No, in most cases a structure cannot have more than two roofing systems on it at a time. This is due to concerns about verifying the health of your structure and trouble with the weight that comes with multiple roofing systems.
5. How is re-roofing different from roof restoration?
A: Re-roofing involves installing a new layer of roofing material over the existing roof, while roof restoration typically involves repairing and recoating the existing materials to extend their lifespan.