In This Article
As one of the first lines of defense against Mother Nature, your home’s roof is one of its most critical components. If your home in St. Petersburg, FL, or surrounding communities needs a roof replacement, then you may be wondering why different types of materials are recommended for construction and roofing.
Installing a new roof is no small task, nor is it a minimal cost. Construction and roofing material prices have increased dramatically in recent years. In our housing market, the three common options include composite shingles, tile roofs or metal roofing systems. Here we give you an explanation of each roofing style and factors to consider when making your choice.
Composite Shingle Construction and Roofing
Composite shingles are the most common residential roofing material used in the United States. A variety of reasons account for this popularity: Composite shingles are fire resistant (up to two hours), inexpensive to purchase and install, and are available in a variety of colors and thicknesses. The term “composition” is used because the shingles are a composite product made from fiberglass, cellulose, asphalt and embedded mineral granules.
Your choices include:
- Three-tab shingles, sometimes called strip shingles, are the original and most basic asphalt shingles, which have a flat appearance. Since they are made from a single layer, they generally weigh and cost less than other asphalt shingles, while offering the absolute minimum of warranty protection.
- Dimensional shingles, sometimes called laminate or architectural-grade shingles, are manufactured with two or more layers of asphalt that are fused for a thicker, multi-dimensional appearance. They are also engineered to withstand higher winds and impacts from hail. As a result, they are heavier and offer improved warranty protections.
- Luxury shingles are the highest quality laminated shingles on the market, offering a thicker appearance, with functionality that outperforms dimensional shingles, against the elements as well as through the years. Apart from being the heavyweight, they offer premium protection from weathering, as well as the highest quality, colorization and dimensionality. These lines of products offer the most realistic imitation of old-world wood shake and quarried slate roofing—at a fraction of the cost.
Metal Roof Systems
Metal roof systems come standard with higher material and labor costs for installation. But if you want one of the strongest roofs on the market, then you will want a metal one. Their advantages include:
- Fire and hail resistance
- Energy-efficiency: Metal roofing reflects light and can save homeowners up to 25 percent on cooling costs.
- Eco-friendliness: Metal is a recyclable material.
Your metal roof system options include:
- Tapered metal panels are used on curved surfaces, fabricated in a state-of-the-manufacturing factory.
- Corrugated metal roof systems are crafted from metal panels that interlock. Once used on barns and silos, corrugated metal can look modern or traditional when installed on a home.
- Standing seam metal roofs are the elegant evolution of corrugated systems, with a low profile that hides all fasteners.
- Metal roof shingles come in panels and individual shingles, with the main advantage being able to quickly install this lightweight material.
Tile Roof Systems
Tile roofing systems offer one of the most beautiful roof options for homeowners looking for the most durable materials on the planet. When installed properly, tile roofs can routinely last more than 70 to 100 years. Some covenant-controlled communities in St. Petersburg, FL, require tile roof systems to maintain elegant curb appeal and to ensure consistent real estate valuation.
In construction and roofing, tile systems consist of overlapping roof tiles securely attached to a roofing substrate or a roof deck on a sloped roof. As a specialized roofing system, tile roofs require experienced craftsmen. When you choose Classic Roofing & Construction, you get our experienced and skilled roofing technicians to install tile roof systems to the highest quality standards in Florida.
Tile roof systems are created with a variety of materials. Your options include:
- Clay roof tiles are a classic roofing material: The same materials have been used for centuries. Clay offers excellent moldability, color options and color retention. While traditional clay tiles were orange or red, today’s clay tiles come in virtually any color, and dozens of shapes and sizes.
- Concrete roof tiles are often called cement roofing tiles. These are made in a factory setting from Portland cement, water, sand and sometimes dyes, to achieve a desired uniform color consistency. They offer excellent resistance to sun, wind or hail damage. However, concrete tiles do not last as long as clay tiles.
- Slate roof tiles are manufactured from rock and are known for their durability and longevity. They come in a variety of colors and textures. Colors vary depending on mineral content. Colors can range from black, gray, deep purple to red or rust colorings.
- Composite roof tiles are made from plastic and other recycled materials and can mimic slate, cedar shake or Spanish tiles. They are typically light in weight, which can save labor costs during installation. Some come with warranties of up to 50 years.
- Solar roof tiles. While flat solar panels are now commonplace, solar tiles have been introduced recently, including from GAF, Certainteed, and Tesla. If you want to explore this option, contact us to schedule a no-obligation consultation.
Choosing Your Roofing Systems
Your choice of roofing material will come down to looks, budget and your desired investment level in your current home. Our expert team is happy to help you select what’s best for your home. Since 2003, Classic Roofing & Construction has been constructing roofs for both residential and commercial projects in St. Petersburg, FL, and surrounding communities. Our residential projects have included:
- Primary residences
- Vacation homes
- Apartment complexes
- Beach homes
- Single-story homes
- Two-story homes
Classic Roofing & Construction provides free estimates and no-interest financing, using our in-house team of craftsmen. We do not hire subcontractors, because we don’t need to. Our team of trusted professionals can handle all your roofing needs. Call us or click to schedule a consultation.