In This Article
If you’re just starting the roof replacement process, we know that it can feel overwhelming. You probably don’t think about your roof most of the time, and suddenly you’re being asked to decide which roof replacement company you’re going to trust with a major investment in your home or business. It’s easy to feel frustrated or overwhelmed, but getting your roof replaced doesn’t have to be complicated.
We’re Classic Roofing and Construction, and we’ve been Tampa Bay’s favorite residential and commercial roof replacement company for 20 years. Today, we want to explain your options when it comes to roof replacements and walk you through how we can help. And we’re starting with the big question: What roofing material should I use for my roof replacement?
Best Roofing Materials for Tampa Bay
If you’ve been looking into roof replacement companies, you probably noticed that there are a lot of different materials to choose from. But which ones work well in our local climate? Roofing materials can be broken down into two categories, and we’re going to talk about both of them. Let’s start with the most common type for homes: sloped roofing materials.
Sloped Roofing Materials
Most residential structures in Tampa Bay are sloped, and the most popular roofing options for these homes are:
- Asphalt Shingles: These are the classic option for a residential roof replacement in Tampa Bay. They’re affordable, durable, and can last for about 20 years on average. As a bonus, they come in a variety of colors and styles to match virtually any aesthetic vision you have for your home. Shingles are not the strongest or longest-lasting roofing material, but they’re budget-friendly and dependable.
- Roofing Tiles: Made from clay or concrete, roofing tiles are a popular luxury roofing material. Like shingles, they also come in a variety of styles, although Spanish Shingles are the most popular in Tampa Bay. Lifespan varies depending on the type of tile, but you can expect to get at least 40 years from a concrete tile roof or over 100 years from clay tile. Both options are more durable and resistant to Florida’s climate than shingles, but they are considered a moderately expensive roofing material.
- Metal Roofs: Metal roofs sometimes have a bad reputation, but modern metal roofs are nothing like the metal roofs of the past. Current metal roofs are strong, and sleek and bring a modern touch to homes in Tampa Bay. And with a lifespan of 40-70 years, metal roofs are in it for the long haul. But while these roofs are great for resisting hurricane-force winds, it’s also important to know that these are some of the most expensive sloped roofing options.
The information above is a brief overview of your different sloped roofing material options. But what about flat roofs?
Flat Roofing Materials
Flat roofs are most often used for commercial buildings, but some residential homes may have a full or partial flat roof as well. For these structures, common roofing materials include:
- Modified Bitumen: This budget-friendly option works by creating a layered roofing system to offer several levels of protection. Made of asphalt mixed with rubber or plastic, modified bitumen is resistant to puncture damage and wind uplift. On average, a modified bitumen roof will last about 20 years and require very little maintenance.
- TPO: Thermoplastic polyolefin, or TPO, is a rubber roofing membrane. This means it’s applied in a single protective layer. This does make it more vulnerable to puncture damage, but it also creates a water-tight barrier that prevents leaks. TPO is more expensive than modified bitumen, but it can last for up to 30 years, so it’s a great investment in your home or business.
- EPDM: Ethylene propylene diene monomer, EPDM, is another rubbing roofing option. This single-ply membrane is similar to TPO, although EPDM is slightly more durable. With proper maintenance, an EPDM flat roof can last up to 35 years.
Choosing your roofing material is a major part of the roof replacement process. But even more important is finding the right roof replacement company to get the job done. And with decades of local roofing experience, Classic has the experience and the credentials to give you a perfect roof replacement. Let us show you what we mean
Choosing the Best Roof Replacement Company in Tampa Bay
Once you know what kind of roofing material you want, it’s time to pick the roof replacement company. But how do you know who to trust when everyone claims to be the best? There are certain key signs that separate the best roof replacement companies from the rest. And one of the biggest? Reviews.
Check Out Local Roofing Reviews
Every roof replacement company claims to be the best. But you know who’s more honest? Your neighbors. That’s why it’s important to look at local roofing reviews before making any decisions. And we want to emphasize that these need to be local reviews—national roofing companies might do great work in Ohio where snow and ice are big concerns, but that doesn’t mean their work can handle hurricane-force winds.
At Classic, we have nearly 400 reviews from real people living in the Greater Tampa Bay region. And with an average 4.8-star rating, you can tell that we deliver quality and professionalism every single time. Our decades of experience enable us to provide roof replacements that are perfectly engineered for our local climate, and our customers agree that we deliver on our promises of great materials, expert crews, and reliable roofs.
Look for Licenses and Accreditations
It’s important to make sure the people on your roof know what they’re doing. The first step in that process is checking a roof replacement company’s roofing license, which should be readily available (Classic’s roofing license designation is #CCC1333826). Hiding this information or not readily sending it over could indicate that you’re dealing with scam roofers.
But don’t just settle for a basic roofing license. For example, Classic is a GAF Master Elite-certified roof replacement company, an achievement held only by the top two percent of roofing companies in North America. To earn this distinction, we had to prove that we follow industry best practices for roof replacements in both safety and performance. And as a result of this accreditation, we can get the best shingles and the strongest warranties for our customers.
Of course, accreditations and certifications are only worth as much training as the people on your roof receive. And many roof replacement companies might have great credentials but send inexperienced subcontractors to complete their jobs.
That’s not how we do things at Classic. We never use subcontractors, only in-house Classic employees. This means that everyone working on your roof is a highly trained professional who brings experience and training to your roof replacement.
Start Collecting Estimates
At the end of the day, the best way to find the perfect roof replacement company is to start gathering free roof replacement estimates. But it’s not just about finding the cheapest roof on the market. It’s about making sure that you’re paying for a robust roofing system that can protect your structure for years to come. This includes factors like replacing your roof underlayment, installing water-resistant roofing features, and providing you with lasting warranties, to name a few things to look for.
And at Classic, we make it easy to start collecting estimates. You can get a free, no-obligation roofing estimate the traditional way and have a roofing expert come to your property to inspect your roof. Then, they will use the information they gather to prepare you a customized roofing estimate. We recommend this for those who want to discuss their options with a roofing professional.
Or, if you already know what you want, you can get an express roofing estimate. With this process, we use satellite images to get the full measurement of your roof and identify unique roofing features like vents and skylights. This way, we can get you an estimate with no in-person inspection. However, this process doesn’t work if trees or other obstacles block the satellite image of your roof, so keep this in mind.
Once you have your roofing estimates in hand, you can start choosing between local roof replacement companies. And when you’re looking at what we can provide you at fair market rates, we’re confident that you’ll choose Classic. So get your free estimate and find out why Classic has been Tampa Bay’s best roof replacement company for two decades!